Synthesis and Automation
Synthesis and Liquid handling (SH)
The Synthesis and Liquid Handling (SH) System enables entirely automated flow synthesis, reagent injection and product collection.
The Synthesis and Collection (SC) System is ideal for use in the following applications:
- Medicinal chemistry
- Flow chemistry investigations
- Intermediate production
- Synthetic conditions not possible in regular batch chemistry
- Process chemistry
- Reaction optimisation (vary reaction conditions such as reaction time, reaction temperature and ratio of reagents with automated collections)
- Early scale-up
- Degradation testing
- Stability studies
- Walk away synthesis: Fully automated hardware is controlled by the Africa software to enable unattended runs. Reagents are injected and products are collected automatically.
- Faster reactions: Increase reaction rates over 100 fold by superheating reactions significantly above reflux e.g. dichloromethane to 100°C, acetonitrile to 150°C and water to 170°C.
- Cleaner reactions: Reduced impurities via excellent, reproducible reaction control and optional use of solid phase reagents/catalysts/scavengers.
- Inline aqueous work-up: The Flow Liquid Liquid Extraction Module (FLLEX) enables two immiscible phases to be mixed and separated in flow, immediately following the reaction.
- Online analysis: A sample of reaction mixture can be taken, diluted and analyzed by HPLC in an entirely automated fashion.
- Scale-up: Production rates up to kg overnight.
- Automated LogP / LogD analysis: Excellent correlation with shake flask method.
- Rapid development: Reaction time, temperature and equivalents can be rapidly varied using mg of substrate.
- Reactions not possible with batch synthesis: Extremely quick reaction times, reagent additions, temperature changes and quenches are possible.
- Automated blockage protection: Pressure sensors continually monitor every flow channel.
- Wide temperature range: Heat reactions up to 250°C or cool down to 0°C.
- Chemically resistant: Glass and PTFE/ fluoropolymer wetted part
|4 Syringe Pumps:||Flow rate 2.5µl to 2.5ml/min with pressure sensors and automatic over-pressure shutdown|
|4 Pressurized Input Bottles:||Regulated 1 bar Nitrogen or Argon is supplied to up to 4 bottles, eliminating cavitation and bubble formation and allowing the use of air sensitive reagents (requires laboratory gas supply).|
|4 Manual Injection Loops and Valves:||1ml, 5ml or 10ml loops|
|Chemical Resistance:||All wetted parts are glass, PTFE or other similar fluoropolymer.|
|2 Temperature Controlled Microreactor Positions:||The Africa Heater/Cooler has two reaction positions, each of which can be factory set to either:|
|0°C – 150°C|
|40°C – 250°C|
|Automated Product Collection:||Each different reaction is automatically collected in a different vial. The vial (or vessel) size is set by the user. Reactions larger than the vial size are automatically collected across multiple vials or preparative quantities can be collected in large one vessel.|
|Automation:||The Africa software allows an almost unlimited number of reactor configurations and automates the entire process. Only “chemist friendly” data such as volumes, times and temperatures need to be added – no need to deal with flow rates if you don’t want to. The timings of all events such as pumps starting, injections, collections etc. are all automatically calculated and performed automatically.|
|Africa Heater/Cooler (2 position)|
|Africa 50/100ul Syringe Kit|
|Africa 250/500ul Syringe Kit|
|Africa 500/1000ul Syringe Kit|
|Africa Reagent Pump|
|62.5ul Microreactor Chip 2 Input|
|62.5ul Microreactor Chip 3 Input|
|250ul Microreactor Chip 2 Input|
|250ul Microreactor Chip 3 Input|
|1000ul Microreactor Chip 2 Input|
|1000ul Microreactor Chip 3 Input|
|10 ml Sample Loop|
|1ml Sample Loop|
|Pressure Sensor Assembly for Africa Reagent Pump|
|Africa Reagent Pump Valve Head|
|Chip Header Blanking Plug|
|Africa Solvent Store|
|Africa Heater/Cooler High Temp Sub Module|
|4ml Tube Reactor PTFE|
|16ml Tube Reactor PTFE|
|4ml Tube Reactor PFA|
|16ml Tube Reactor PFA|
|Africa Pressurisation module|
|Africa Control Software Including PC|